It is December and Santa will be coming soon, but also St. Nick. As a child we did not observe this tradition so when I moved to Green Bay I was confused and unknowing of St. Nick. So here is a little history on this tradition.
The tradition of Saint Nicholas Day, usually on 6 December, is a festival for children in many countries in Europe related to surviving legends of the saint, and particularly his reputation as a bringer of gifts. While feasts of Saint Nicholas are not observed nationally, cities with strong German influences like Milwaukee, Cincinnati, Cleveland, and St. Louis celebrate St. Nick's Day on a scale similar to the German custom. On the previous night, children put one empty shoe (or sock) outside, and, on the following morning of December 6, the children awake to find that St. Nick has filled their previously empty footwear with candy and small presents (if the children have been "good") or coal (if not).
Matt and I had decided that Santa would make a visit and he would fill the stockings on December 24th as he did when I grew up. But last year Ellie had her star day at preschool the day after St. Nick was supposed to have come and since she was the star the teacher asked her first what she received from St. Nick, Ellie was confused and said "nothing" and once the other children started stating what they received from St. Nick a little piece of my heart broke. So this year St. Nick will visit our home and hopefully leave the little ones presents and not COAL. :)
Tuesday, December 1, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Being a Catholic, I have really wanted to incorporate St. Nicholas into my kids holiday traditions. My problem has been, is he separate from Santa? His feast day is the 6th, so how do you explain that to your kids? Does he really visit your kids or do you tell that you are doing this in memory of him? I would love to know how you explain it!
This is our first year of I guess you could say Celebrating St. Nick and we are explaining him as a separate entity ~ if you will. I know some friends tell their children that St Nick comes on the 5th and will return on the 24th if you continue to be good, either way it is hard to not feel like it is all about "presents", at this age the kids have a hard time understanding the meaning of Christmas/saints/birth of Christ, I am hoping that Sunday school is doing a better job than I. :)
Post a Comment